service-0.5.14-alt1 has no manpage about "service", so the details of how /sbin/service works can not be studied quickly (at least, I'd include the information about the location of individual service scripts -- /etc/init.d/*).
OK, I'll add it.
service-0.5.22-alt1 -> sisyphus:
* Thu Jan 26 2012 Dmitry V. Levin <ldv@altlinux> 0.5.22-alt1
- start-stop-daemon: implemented support of /proc/%d/exe pointing
to names with " (deleted)" prefix.
- minilogd: changed to create /dev/log socket world writable
- init.d/functions (UnmountFilesystems): implemented mountpoints
decoding to match getmntent(3) behaviour (closes: #17118).
- init.d/functions (start_daemon):
+ added --background option (closes: #26529);
+ added --check option.
- service.8: imported from Fedora (closes: #22166).